Topic: Suggestion: Write Settings To Local Ini

I recently contacted an awesome freeware website, suggesting they add Diagram Designer to their list. When I received the following reply.

Hi,

This app is fantastic! Unfortunately, it writes settings to the registry
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MeeSoft\DiagramDesigner). For an editor-type
app, this makes it not so portable. :-(

Regards.
--
Andrew Lee
The Portable Freeware Collection
http://www.portablefreeware.com/

I think it would a be a terrific idea to make it portable for a number of reasons.
1. When upgrading to a new computer, which happens quite often, I could just copy my "stand-alone program directory" with all of its programs, shortcuts, and settings to the new drive.
2. I can back up my "stand-alone program directory" to my USB drive for use on other computers at home, at work, at friends, family, etc.

Thanks for the great piece of software, and keep up the good work! smile

Re: Suggestion: Write Settings To Local Ini

The settings written to the registry are not very important...
It shouln't be a problem to just copy the files.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Interesting site, that portable freeware collection !

Me too likes the idea of portable programs, and above all I don't like programs to write anywhere on disks where I didn't explicitly allow it ;-)
AFAIK all the registry are in the file settings.pas.
So it's quite easy to recompile without registry information.

About the arguments, they become less valuable.
1. if you use winXP (and maybe others too), there are a number of programs that can save to a file and restore your personal settings.
2. you can put diagram designer on an USB stick an show it wherever you want (ok it leaves some small traces in the registry after running, but you dont have to install it)

Another interesting point:
Image Analyzer is listed in the "portable freeware collection", and it too writes in the registry ;-)

Stef Mientki

The problems with ini-files in the program's directory is that users not logged in with Administrator rights cannot store files to that directory. Also, when using the registry, different users on the same computer can have different settings.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

I always use ini-files,
and mosttimes I have a lot of different versions on my PC,
no problem at all !!

Most often I use the first commandline parameter as the ini-file.
If no first parameter is present, then
  the programname (and location) with the extension changed to "ini" is used.

By never installing programs on the C-drive
(which has the great advantage,
that after a crash, and a reinstall of windows (yes, even XP crashes sometimes))
almost all programs works, without reinstalling them.

Letting the user install a program (on another then the C-drive, with ini-files),
without the need of the IT-department,
is really appreciated by users !!

Stef Mientki

I know this is an old post, but I will just add some important additional information.
If a file called DiagramDesigner.ini is present in the folder where DD runs from then this will be used instead of the registry so in that way it is possible to make a portable version.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <