Topic: Great product !

Hi

Just joined. I've been drawing freehand as a hobby for years and often wished it were possible to animate them and finally discovered and started using Popims Animator for the first time ever about 4 weeks ago. And although most definitely a non-techie whilst it's been a real struggle to understand I must say it's been great fun and is now really enjoyable. cool

However I keep running into one major problem which I'm not sure is either available in the overall package or if I've missed something.

Is it possible to save or not, for example each 1 of 6 drawings in total say of a boy growing into an old man, after having used the "Morph Mesh" ? Each time I try to save the first one without the mesh lines it loses everything and I have to start again. At the moment it only saves just the one drawing with the mesh/ points still in place which is disappointing as the idea is to produce a smoothly animated sequence right the way through from 1 to 6.

There are one or two other problems but this is the one that I'm really stuck with at the moment....

But no question it's great fun !! tongue

Re: Great product !

When you click File | Save | Popims animation everything is saved to one file - both the original images and the morph points. The free version only allows saving in reduced resolution, and it does not allow saving the individual frames to separate files. You can, however, copy-paste the frames to some other program (e.g. Windows Paint) and save them from there.
In the full version you can click File | Save | Image sequence to save the individual frames to e.g. JPEG files.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Ah great thanks ! big_smile

I half guessed it might be something to do with just being a free version. But is there any way to save individual morph mesh images without the points ?

And I'm also having problems with getting the 2 picture sizes to match without cutting off some of the picture itself. I've been using Word to try to match the sizes first and then pasting them in but it still doesn't seem to work.

I'd been having problems with resolution as well but had'nt got around to sorting it out yet. Still great and thank you ! Where can I find details of the full version you mention as I'd be very interested.

Thanks again I really, really enjoy it ! wink

But is there any way to save individual morph mesh images without the points ?

I'm not sure I understand. I assume you just want to save the image without the morph mesh?

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

5 (edited by Animax 2009-12-11 12:12:20)

At the moment it only saves just the one drawing with the mesh/ points still in place which is disappointing as the idea is to produce a smoothly animated sequence right the way through from 1 to 6.

Yes very much so. To independently save the results of each pair of morph mesh images once done, but without the points which obviously are now in the way and no longer necessary. Then to do the same with all the remaining 4 images if it's possible ?

And why therefore I'm keen to try the full version you mentioned with the full File | Save | Image sequence so as to save the whole complete animated sequence to a JPEG file.

And although I haven't tried it yet to eventually be able, again if possible, to run them as a video (?).

Thanks smile

As I said in my first post, you can copy-paste the frames to some other program (e.g. Windows Paint) and save them from there.

Regarding resizing the images to fit you can use the Stabilize feature after having set a few points.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

7 (edited by Animax 2009-12-11 18:14:09)

Yes I'd already copy/ pasted quite a lot of short frames to Paint, however it's because I now need to use about 40 to 60 frames for each pair of drawings why I think the full version you mentioned would be ideal.

In the full version you can click File | Save | Image sequence to save the individual frames to e.g. JPEG files

Can you tell me where I can buy or download this from please ?

Thanks smile
I'd really love to show you one great example of 60 frames that has an old aunt of mine in hysterics but no idea how to do it !!! lol

You can download the file http://www.meesoft.com/Popims/FullVideo/version.set save save it to the folder where Popims Animator is installed, typically C:\Program Files\Popims\Popims Animator. This is a license file that gives permission for animated GIF, AVI and image sequence output.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Great thanks !

Unfortunately I'm getting .SET is an unsupported file format and not being a techie no idea what to do next....

You need to save it to the folder C:\Program Files\Popims\Popims Animator
I don't know how to explain it better...

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

11 (edited by Animax 2009-12-12 18:42:47)

OK many thanks !:)

Edit: No idea what happened but it seems to have downloaded ok despite the same Error message still appearing ? Anyway a small video has come out fine without any points and it's marvellous ! Very impressive indeed !

What does one have to do to post them onto a forum ? It says across the top "Extract Video Frames - Video. avi"....

As a hopeless non-techie just discovered I can play the JPG pics that freaked out dear old Auntie on Windows media player, unbeeelievable quality !!!! Next step is how to post it onto a forum ?

Having endless problems though with converting drawings into GIF, it's only picking up one drawing instead of the two....

Thinking ahead how much is a 3d screen ?

Actually we are currently not selling the screens as it turned out that the interest was too low...

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Pity....

Anyway things are going very well with the animations indeed ! Really chuffed with I hope only one problem left.

In Animation mode I need to first smoothly mesh together 8 still drawings using all 60 frames. I'm able to get drawings 1 and 2 very smoothly and enjoyably linked up using the mesh, taking up just 6 or 7 frames alone.

The problem is that before I can move on to mesh together drawings 2 and 3 with a further 6 or 7 frames, I'm still unable to Save meshed drawings 1 and 2 in either Animation or Composition mode without losing all the original incredibly lifelike and professional meshed points completely. Meaning that the only way one will be able to view all 8 drawings in animated sequence is not to use the mesh at all, which would be a real shame as it means I'm stuck with very jerky movements between each drawing rather than flowing smoothly.

Is there any way I can mesh together all 8 drawings in sequence without the jerkiness ? I did notice a small tickable box next to a message saying something about an "overlay" but still can't work out what it does....

As I said it really is a fantastic product you've created so fingers tightly crossed !

Thanks smile

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand the question. You need to put all 8 drawings in the same animation with perhaps 7 morph frames between each. That will give you one long animation of 57 frames.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Yes that's correct with smooth morphing between each yet keeping it below the maximum of 60 frames.

Thanks smile

17 (edited by Animax 2009-12-30 19:58:57)

Having a really great time and nearly there !!!! tongue

The best thing was after hours of experimenting and trying I finally found a programme called "fjoiner" that was able to join together 3 fresh new drawings at 60 frames each, making 180, and then being able to play them all back continuously in Composition mode, even though the red panel was "On" all the time !

Since this breakthrough I managed to convert them into gif ok but after hours of searching I still can't find a simple programme to convert them into video - avi or similar. There were one or two but they were so complicated and time wasting I've now unfortunately had to give up altogether.

Looking ahead I think it would be really great to have say an upper limit for the time being of 20 or so drawings at perhaps 60 frames each, all able to be quickly packaged together in the same way as photos are now with jpeg.

Still it's great to be able to watch these still drawings come to life so well !!

Hope you can get past this final hurdle !

Thanks !! cool

You can use save to Video file... in Popims Animator to create an AVI

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Thanks yes first thing I looked for but I can only find "Open Video" file in both Composition and Animator, nothing about "Save"....?

It is in the same place as save to Animated GIF... Under the File | Save menu or the big Save button in the toolbar.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

21 (edited by Animax 2010-01-01 17:46:10)

Thanks again. Just been through all the Save buttons in File Animated GIF and in the big Save button in the toolbar again but still nothing unfortunately. Only open Video file as before.

Then it seems that you didn't correctly copy the version.set file from the link in my previous post to the Popims Animator folder.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

23 (edited by Animax 2010-01-01 18:52:56)

Great thanks unfortunately didn't know this at the time.   

Thanks for your patience. wink

Edit : Finished !! Left the maze at last !!   big_smile

Only problem left is joining up the three 60 frames for Windows Media which suddenly won't take for some reason. It's been a really horrible struggle for the past 3 weeks or so as I'm definitely not and will never be a techie, nevertheless it's a fantastic programme all round.

Thank you again for your kind patience and help Michael ! wink

One minor problem, can you recommend a simple programme that joins up video files, as I still can't get the three separate 60 frames to link together into one smooth sequence.

Thanks smile

I've also discovered there's a problem with saving properly from gif to avi as nothing is appearing in the video file, therefore I'm unable to play on Windows Media.... ?

Can you help please  ?

Thanks.