Topic: 8bf Plugin

would it be posiible to use third party 8bf plugins with Analyzer?

Re: 8bf Plugin

The plugin interface for Image Analyzer is open and free for anyone to use, but I have no idea what 8bf is.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

8bf are the kind of filters used in photoshop, you can find lot of them in the Web.

If anyone can direct me to a place where I can find the photoshop plugin specifications/API reference I will look at implementing it in Image Analyzer. I did a few Internet searches and found some "plugin developement kits", but none of them were free.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

you can find a dll (sigmapihost)  and its source code for reading 8bf filters in this place

http://www.sigmapi-design.com/yabbse/index...play;threadid=6

Thank you for the reference. I will look at how easy it is to implement in IA for the next version...

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

I have implemented 8bf plugin support based on this SigmaPiHost (should be available soon) but unfortunately SigmaPiHost  does not support all 8bf files. Actually it crashed with some of the ones I tried. If anyone know of another way to integrate 8bf plugins please let me know...

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

There is another open source image editor called the "GIMP" that as a plugin that allows usage of Adobe Photoshop plugins.  It is called PSPI (Paint Shop Plug In) which is open source also.  I'm not a programmer but I was thinking you might be able to adapt PSPI for use on Image Analyser.  I have to agree with the others that adding the ability of using Photoshop Plugins in Image Analyser would greatly enhance its usage.  The link for PSPI is:

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/gimp-p...-pspi-1.0.3.zip

The source code for it is:

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/gimp-p...i-1.0.3-src.zip

By the way, I am writing a review of Image Analyser along with some other image editing programs.  I will post it at my web site:

http://georgeh123.blogspot.com/

George

Thank you for the references. I will have a look to see if it is usable.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

The first version of the 8bf interface is now available here (based on SigmaPiHost). I included the source code so that anyone can help improving the interface.
Note that it requires at least IA 1.25.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

The 8bf plugin seems to work fairly well. I was able to use 2 different plugins successfully. However, there are 2 flaws in it atm:
1) It does go one subfolder deep (some don't go into subfolders at all), but that isn't always deep enough. For example, super blade pro installs itself to plugins\superbladepro\filter.8bf. On the other hand, eyecandy 5 installs itself to plugins\alien skin\eyeycandy impact\filter.8bf. IA's 8bf plugin sees the super blade pro one, but not the eyecandy one. However, setting the directory to the alien skin directory makes it "see" the eycandy filters (but then it misses the super blade pro one which is now 1 level higher).
2) With the eyecandy filters, it only picks up on one of the effects available within the filter. I don't know for certain if this only applies to the eyecandy ones or if it applies to all filters that have more than one effect within each filter, I will have to download some other one/s that have multiple effects and see.

There are two rules for the filter paths which are not obvious:
They should end with a "\", but I guess you already did that.

You can enter several filter directories separated by " | ". This means that if some filter is installed in a deep sub folder you can simply write the full path for it also.

I don't have much control over the plugin interface since what I have made is just a wrapper for this "SigmaPiHost" which really does most of the work. Actually I don't have much use for this myself - that is why I released my source code so that somebody can improve it if they want...

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

You can enter several filter directories separated by " | ". This means that if some filter is installed in a deep sub folder you can simply write the full path for it also.

Ah! Now that's useful info. Irfanview (which also has 8bf abilities) can't handle going into any subfolders, but it isn't a major problem there because it allows you to choose multiple folders. IA only seems to allow you to choose a single folder, but I didn't know about that little trick.

I am using the no install version 1.24 of IA.  I installed the plugin you reference above by directing it to install when I have IA on my C drive.  When I open IA, there are no options for PhotoShop plugins.  Am I doing something wrong?

You need Image Analyzer 1.25

Michael Vinther

> software developer <