1 (edited by Ben321 2011-06-18 1:24:04)

Topic: Idea for next version.

When using import palette, it automatically uses "nearest color" method. It should though, after selecting a palette, allow one to select either dithered or undithered, and if dithered then one should be able to select one of the the available dithering methods that's already available under the "convert to 256 colors..." menu item.

As it is, I have to either use an auto-generated palette (but get the advantage of selecting a dithering method)
or have to use only undithered "nearest color" (but get the advantage of selecting the palette I want).

Why not have an option that combines these 2 features, allowing one to select both the palette and the dithering method?

Re: Idea for next version.

Yes, you are right, that would probably give higher quality. Actually I don't even know how to do dithering matching a specific palette...
One thing you can try is to use Operations | Pixel format conversion | Quantize | IGS quantize to reduce the number of colors by dithering before importing the palette. Does that improve the result?

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Re: Idea for next version.

admin wrote:

Yes, you are right, that would probably give higher quality. Actually I don't even know how to do dithering matching a specific palette...

I'm not entirely sure either. All I know is Photoshop and Gimp (and probably other major image processing software as well) can do it.