Topic: Retouching portraits

I just posted a new help page on retouching portraits, see http://logicnet.dk/Analyzer/help/Degrunge/index.htm

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Re: Retouching portraits

Thank you for this, Michael. It's a fantastic technique. It made me realize that any filter can be used this way to brush on an effect. It makes IA a paint program as well as a photo editor.

I don't know why I've never read about this technique in any book on digital photo editing. It's so simple. Who needs an expensive paint program when the clone tool can work as a brush between images?

Thanks again,
Jim

Yes, it's a good way to dodge and burn. I tried it on a face that was too dark. I raised the gamma on one image and then painted it on the other.

I used to do that with mask selections painted on the image, which is so much more complicated and time consuming. Painting like this is so simple and fast and precise. It's like having a brush for any effect you like. I tried it in a couple of other editors, but it didn't work for me. Maybe it only works on IA.

I did find out that feathering works to reduce the effect's opacity only if you use single clicks. If you move the clone "brush" to paint the effect, it comes through full strength. If I overdo it, the fade option takes care of it anyway.

This technique will replace using selections in most of my work from now on.

Jim

Maybe Michael doesn't know that feathering doesn't work on the clone tool when you move the mouse over the image. It would be nice if feathering worked then too. As it is, it only works with single clicks.

Was this intentional? Can it be changed so that feathering always works? Or am I doing something wrong?

Jim

Never mind, I figured it out. You have to set the feathering to the half  the size or same size as the clone brush for feathering to work very well. Set it to twice the size of the brush and it reduces the opacity of the brush--I like that.

Jim

Yes, I know, the thing is that when you paint, then the brush is applied so many times on top of each other that the feather effect almost disappears but as you say the solution is to use a big feather value. I should probably implement a better algorithm to handle painting, but so far this has worked for me...

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

It seems to feather best with very high settings. I need to keep experimenting with the settings..

Jim

Thanks for implementing "a better algorithm to handle painting." Feathering works perfectly for painting in the new beta.

Jim