Topic: MAP file format?

Your Floating Point Map file format with the *.map file extension has a structure that I don't know what it is. Can you tell me the structure of the file? I'd like to be able to create my own application that that can read/write with that file structure, so that it would be compatible with Image Analyzer.

Re: MAP file format?

The file format is described in the readme.txt file. Unfortunately it is a bit complicated to read the files as they are compressed by default.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Is it possible to change or disable the compression in the software? I mean set it so that it only saves uncompressed?
Which is the default compression (LZ77 or ZLib)? If ZLib I can simply decompress it with other software that can decompress ZLib compressed data. If LZ77, I don't know, because there aren't that many publicly available libraries for LZ77.

The default is ZLib as it says in the readme file, but it is currently not possible to change the compression type.
You can, however, save to a txt file unless it is complex values.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Do you plan to change this so that compression can be manually selected, in the next version? If so, when is the next version going to be released?

Can you tell what you want to use it for?
I don't have any release planned, but I could perhaps make one available in the beta section of the forum.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

mv wrote:

Can you tell what you want to use it for?
I don't have any release planned, but I could perhaps make one available in the beta section of the forum.

It would allow me (and others) to write software that would read in the outputs of Image Analyzer's various transforms, such as FFT, DCT, and Distance Transform, and use external software for additional processing of these outputs. This is especially important, as there are VERY FEW pieces of software that can handle Deflate compressed data. Even ZLib doesn't directly read/write Deflate compressed data, but rather reads/writes Deflate compressed data which is preceded by a ZLib header and which is followed by an Adler32 checksum. Unfortunately Image Analyzer's MAP data format directly writes compressed data in the Deflate format, without the ZLib header. To read this data with ZLib would require the additional steps of creating a ZLib header (which is not an easy thing to create), and just HOPING that ZLib is willing to decompress the data without the Adler32 checksum present. At least that is my understanding of how Image Analyzer writes Deflate compressed data. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

If anyone is interested I have put a version that saves uncompressed MAP files at http://meesoft.com/Analyzer/BETA/Analyz … ession.zip

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

9 (edited by Ben321 2015-07-16 1:47:05)

mv wrote:

If anyone is interested I have put a version that saves uncompressed MAP files at http://meesoft.com/Analyzer/BETA/Analyz … ession.zip

When you posted this, I downloaded it and tried it. It was great. It allowed me to output files from Image Analyzer and then do further processing in my own software. Now after more than a year, I have eagerly waited for it to go beyond a beta feature and into the main program. It hasn't. I even checked the file menu and went to "File > File format options" and it wasn't there either. I hope that at some point in the future you merge this beta feature with the main program. I have personally found it to be very useful.

For now I have disabled map compression in the latest beta because the compression made so little difference anyway

Michael Vinther

> software developer <