Topic: Frame Rate Problem

Perhaps it's because I'm not doing something correctly but I seem to have incompatability issues with frame rates in Studio 9 (my video editing software) and "jumpy" rendering.

I've tried it several times and obtain the same results:

1) I place points on two images using the auto accomodation and allowing rotation and cropping.  The previews seem to work well.  I've "save as"d both images and the animation.
2) I set up animation as 1>2 morph, and check antialiasing at 210 frames
3) I make animation to an AVI file using the popup option "indeo 5.0" and try to select 29.9 frame rate (which is standard in the NTSC format used by Studio 9).  The "ok" button greys out and will not come back on until I change it to 30 FPS.
4) Then I give it a file name and notice that the next screen's default has been set for "indeo 5.10" with compression at 50%, key frame at every 18 frames and data rate at 150 KB/sec.  Because I really don't understand these items completely I accept them as defaults and select the render.
5)  I notice that during the rendering the title bar will step through each frame consecutively stating "rendering 1" "rendering 2" etc; randomly it will change to "rendering 13" "WRITING 13" then back to rendering again.  the number of frames that it "renders" before it "writes" is random (from as high at 13 to frequently every frame).
6) after it is rendered, I open it in windows media player and it morphs over about the desired 7 seconds but is FAR FROM SMOOTH.

7) then I import the AVI file into studio 9 - which notices that it is 30 FPS instead of the standard 29.9 FPS and gives me a warning that "non-standard" frame rates may cause errors in rendering when coupled with the remainder of the video recorded at the standard 29.9 FPS.  Additionally, the morphed clip, when played in the Studio9 preview window is still NOT smooth.

Please help me understand all the settings that I'm using and what I might do to: a) get a smooth morph from one image to another; and b) obtain an AVI (using whatever type of encoding necessary) that is compatable with standard video editing software.

thanks bob jarrett

Re: Frame Rate Problem

Just noted that #5 in my message above may be a "red herring" the rendering/writing is apparantly NOT skipping as I first noted but rather it always goes from rendering to writing but it DOES seemingly randomly take longer on the writing cycle (which is what I noticed first)

I've tried again however this morning and the final rendered AVI is "jumpy" (ie faster,slower,faster slower etc) and I still don't know what effect 30 frames per second vs 29.9 frames per second makes.  Please help, anyone who's done this before.

thanks

Unfortunately I don't know how to tell the video encoder to use 29.9 frames/s because the interface I use only supports integers.
150Kb/second means that the video compressor tries to use 150 kb for each second of video. If you have 300 frames at at frame rate of 30/s this gives 10 seconds or a 10s*150kb/s = 1.5MB video file.
A keyframe is a frame that is less compressed than the rest of the frames. It doesn't really matter for your video sequence. They have a special purpose in long video sequences.
#5: This doesn't matter.

Playing the video in Windows Media Player always run smooth on my computer (1.6 GHz Athlon) so perhaps your computer is too slow or you should try with another codec. I suggest you try with different codecs. You probably have many installed on your computer other than Indeo 5.1. What about e.g. DivX?

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

speed of machine not and issue - it's plenty fast and I don't have problem watching other avi's on win media player.  just it seems the avi's that I create on my morphs.

Your suggestion about codec's may be fruitful - but I don't know much about them except that i've tried to generate files in the past and my friends machines and other programs haven't been able to recognize them.  I understood that the indeo codec was fairly universal but probably should try others so see if they do better.

to save me doing brute force trial and error - what codec do you use when video editing and importing to other programs and/or do you know which ones are fairly universal ( and fairly lossless)

I usually use the Indeo or DivX codecs, but note that only the Indeo codec is part of the stardard Windows installation. I have never used the AVIs in other programs than Media Player, but I have never seen any problems either, so I probably can't help you there.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Just to follow up:  I tried many different times to re-render the AVI files from my project as stated only to find that the avi file was jerky (in fact jumped ahead several times).  turning off antialiasing made it render faster but still jerky.  In fact one of the renderings actually jumped "backward" instead of forward toward the end of the clip!

Assuming that this is not a defective program as others have used it I kept changing settings and unclicking buttons and re-rendering until Voila when I unclicked the bit rate button that was set by default it cleared right up and rendered correctly.

I don't profess to have a clue why that should have worked or why it was set by default but I'll bet others have had the same problem and have corrected it after much trial and error like I did (or maybe they were smart enough to know what all the settings mean).

would you please post this correction somewhere so that others at least won't spend/waste the time hunting for a solution?

thanks

I have a suggestion which might work: Increase the "Key frame every" value to 1000. This could solve the problem for some codecs.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <