1 (edited by rean 2008-07-25 2:23:54)

Topic: UTF-8 in the file viewer

I would like to get this feature for an addition to the ANSI encoding.

No full unicode support is required. I see only my language texts in UTF-8.

Re: UTF-8 in the file viewer

I have an additional thing. Also search in UTF-8 encoded files will be very useful.

Hello

First of all: your Commander is well done. It even runs on my Windows PE bootstick and I can use it for emergency file saving.

I would also appreciate if the program could handle UNICODE.
The problem with ANSI is that it cannot handle paths greater than 256. It sucks if you have to backup the data of a user and it won't copy everything because the paths are too long.
I know porting the code to UNICODE is a painful job (as I just did it for my own program), but as far as I understand it you could use the _T macro to be able to build it for UNICODE and ANSI (if you still want to maintain the Windows 98 version).

Greetings,
TrulyTruly

I didn't know that the character encoding was related to the maximum path length. I know that some file system calls have problems with paths longer than 256 chars. Are the corresponding unicode (W) methods better?

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Unicode can be about 32K: The Windows API has many functions that also have Unicode versions to permit an extended-length path for a maximum total path length of 32,767 characters.
see:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx

But i don't want to look at a path of 32K characters smile

Spam deleted 2013: 54,  2014: 11,  2015: 3,  2016: 107