Topic: Fractal plugin runs out of memory

I use a Canon 5D which provides a 12.8 megapixel image. 
Running the fractial plugin on 5D images gets to 98% then dies giving an our of memory error.

Is there anything I can do about this?

I run an XP Pro system with 4Gig of memory, of which about 3.2Gig are available to the 32bit OS.

Thanks for your consideration,

Charlie

Re: Fractal plugin runs out of memory

Do you really need to make 12.8MP images even bigger?  wink

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

The short answer is Yes.  smile   I'm confident you know why.  For others, I'll explain.

BACKGROUND
With a Canon 5D, at 12.8MP, I get very nice prints at 12x18, which turns out to be 240 dpi.  This is on an Epson printer.  Epson printers are well known to do well at 240 dpi, 360 dpi, and above.  I have pushed it down to about 220 dpi and this is about the limit.  After that, I'd rather print smaller.

TO THE POINT
If I want to print at 24 x 36 inches, as in Epson's 24 inch printers (7xxx series), I will need to interpolate to 2x in each dimention to keep the dpi at 240.  That same interpolation nicely gives 360 dpi at the Epson 3880 print size.   And yes, I'd like to print at these sizes.

Thanks for your consideration,

Charlie

It is the artefact filtering that takes up more memory when the process reaches 98%. I have just released a new version of the plugin where the artefact filter is more memory efficient which you can try. I have successfully used it on 14.6MP pictures from my Canon G10.
If you still have memory issues you can disable the artefact filter (set the value to 0) but this may introduce a little noise in the result.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Ah, Wow!  Thanks  I'll try it out ASAP.   big_smile

It Works.  Thanks