Topic: Specifying a 1bpp black in multicolor image

I need to be able to send a color image to my printer where the black pixels are printed with a K resin panel. The printers driver takes images in RGB color space and sets any pixels that are 1 bpp black to be printed by this K panel. How can I do this, because if I convert the picture to 1 bpp black and white I lose all my colors, but if I don't, I never get good black?

Is there a way to have just the black 0, 0, 0 in a picture store at 1 bpp but the rest 24 or 32 bpp?

More specifically, what I would like is to have two images combined in one file where one of the images is full color and the other is 1bpp for K panel black. Is that possible? It seems that Word does this. I can put a full color image in a file plus type some text and the text that gets sent to the printer is 1 bpp so it gets printed with K while the image is still full color.

Re: Specifying a 1bpp black in multicolor image

Are you sure that your image contains pixels that are actually (0,0,0) ?
IA doesn't have that much control over the printer - it just sends the RGB bitmap as it is to the printer driver.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Yes it does have 0, 0, 0 pixels in it. According to the printer's manufacturer though unless those pixels are 1 bpp color depth they will be renders using full ymc rather than with K panel. I do not see a way to send a job to it with data that is both 24 bpp and 1 bpp in the same image.

I would like to understand more fully what Word, for example, does when it generates the job I mentioned. It sends a full color picture and a 1 bpp bitmap at the same time. I can tell this because the image has the image I want to print in color plus other text in K. I am looking for a way to include that text in the image so that I can control its positioning better than in Word.

Perhaps I need a different piece of software. I don't really know anything here, but I found your software, and it seemed like it might do what I needed, but at the very least was programmed by somebody who might be able to answer my question.

Well, IA just sends one big image to the printer driver. I don't really know of other ways to do it.

Perhaps the driver treats text and images differently. You could try my Diagram Designer. It lets you position text and images on the page and the text is sent separately to the driver as text if you disable Print as bitmap in the Options dialog.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <