1 (edited by Jeff Randall 2012-02-26 7:12:52)

Topic: 64bit, multi-processor, and >4gb support?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already (but I did do a very quick search and found nothing).  Processes such as skeletonize take a great deal of time. Parallel processing with multicore PCs and larger RAM would likely speed up the application.  If 64bit support is out of the question, have you consider at least multi-processor and >4GB support? 

Thanks.

jr

Re: 64bit, multi-processor, and >4gb support?

Funny you should mention this, Jeff. Yesterday I happened to e-mail Michael telling him that skeletonize locked up my PC. I tried it again this morning and it finally did complete, but it took minutes on my slow computer.

If it's impossible to provide multiprocessor support, I can volunteer to code some of the time-consuming inner loops in optimized assembly language.

Brian

I ran some timed speed tests on my Core i7 2600 quad-core 16GB RAM box with a 3264x2448 8-bit color jpg test file.

Discrete Cosine Transform = 7:09 min
Skeletonize = 11:30 min
Update w/Expression = 2:40 min

It certainly would also be nice to have a STOP button for at least the Cosine and Skeletonize functions because once started they chug away (note progress info in lower left of th IA screen) until done or you manually stop the task with Task Manager.

jr

4 (edited by k6sti 2012-02-26 11:13:35)

Those are remarkably long execution times for such a powerful computer, Jeff! My old 1-GHz AMD Athlon took minutes on a 640x480 test image.

I suggested to Michael that pressing Esc might abort a calculation. He acknowledged the problem and said he would look into providing some method of interrupting long operations.

Brian

5 (edited by Jeff Randall 2012-02-26 16:34:10)

...that is exactly why I am raising the issue. smile 

I suspect some kind of a structural problem with IA because my PC rips through in almost real time processor/memory intensive manipulations in my HDR and grain reduction programs and is lighting fast in running massive 3-D groundwater models.  The only limitation I have is because I am not a gamer, I only have the standard onboard graphics capabilities with shared memory -- so no computing and memory help from my graphics system.

Michael already has a stop button on some features -- this is a good visual reminder so that the user does not have to remember to hit ESC.

Actually many of the algorithms are already optimized for multicore CPUs but I have focused one the ones I use myself frequently.
I added Discrete Cosine Transform originally because I wanted to compare it to the Fourier Transform but I have hardly used it since so optimize it has very lo priority. Skeletonize I have used once in a while, but not enough to make me take the time to optimize it (which would definitely be possible).

To answer the original question about 64bit support then it is not something I have planned as it would require a lot of work (and buying a new compiler), and I don't really have problems with running out of memory with the images that my camera can produce.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

I have added the possibility to cancel some of the slow operations in the latest beta at http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/support/view … hp?id=3237

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

I tried skeletonize and the cosine transform. The new cancel function is a nice addition, especially for people with slow computers like me.

My antivirus program updated itself this morning. It was suspicious of the beta, generating a flurry of warnings and putting it in a "sandbox," telling me the program was probably OK but I should be careful! I thought it was pretty funny.

Brian