Topic: Eraser

This is just a suggestion. Maybe it's to complicated to program. If it is, no problem. There are already ways in IA to get the results I am after. I just think the way I want to suggest would be easier and more intuitive.

I would like to see the FADE and UNDO and REDO commands work in selections, not just in the image as a whole. I mean selections that are made after a filter is applied. It would go like this.

1. Run a filter on an image.

2. Make a selection (or several selections) in the image, either a rectangular or a mask selection.

3. Fade (or Undo) the effect of the filter in the selected areas only.

This would be the same as the eraser tool in programs with layers. As IA works now, a mask selection uses UNDO to deselect. There would have to be another way to deselect.

If this seems too complicated or unnecessary, I can write a tutorial for the help pages to describe how this can be done with the present version of IA. Maybe others already know, but it has taken me years to figure it out. Actually, it was the last obstacle for me. When I filtered an image of a face and wanted to Fade the effect over the eyes, I would switch to an editor with layers and use the Eraser Tool. Now that I've finally figured out how to do it in IA, I never need the other editor. The method involves several steps. It's not quite as easy as the way I suggested above, but it does work. I am just suggesting this in case it might not be difficult to program and the feature appeals to you, Michael. Either way, IA is the best and fastest and easiest to use photo editor I have ever found.

Jim

Re: Eraser

Isn't this exactly what you can do if you choose Selection boundaries in the Fade dialog?

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

No, not exactly. You can Fade a selection in normal mode (All pixels). You don't want Selection boundaries mode for this. You can Filter and Fade a selection and then invert the selection and filter again for a stronger effect in the parts of the image you don't want to Fade as much or at all. It sounds simple when I put it in a single sentence. It is simple, especially using a Filter. It's more complicated when pasting an effect from another program, but it still works.

Is there a way to Deselect All when I have painted several places on an image? I do it now by switching to Rectangular selection and using a right mouse click. Is there a way to Deselect All when using mask selections -- besides using Undo several times?

Anyway, thanks for thinking about it. I understand it's not really needed. It just seems more intuitive to me to filter first and then Fade selected areas. Maybe it doesn't seem that way to anyone else.

If you want a help page tutorial for selective fading as a virtual eraser, I will be glad to send you one for your approval.

Thanks,
Jim

As far as I remember you can use the middle mouse button to deselect everything in mask mode.

Another approach to the Fade selection issue could be to first use fade Selection boundaries, and after that fade All - using the fade dialog on its own result. It might actually achieve the opposite result of what you want, but I guess that depends on how you make the selection or which image you paste on top of what...

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Yes, the middle mouse button deselects all mask selections. Thanks for the info. I will add it to my cheat sheet.

Fade Selection boundaries doesn't work with mask selections using the Paint selection tool. The Fade icon goes inactive as soon as I paint on a selection. I could make do with rectangular selections if I could make more than one at a time. Is there a way I can make two or three rectangular selections at once, like I can by painting several selection? (In PhotoFiltre I can hols the Ctrl key and make multiple selections.) This way I could select the eyes on face in order to fade them and make the sharper.

It would be great if Selection boundaries fading would work on mask selections. That would be ideal. I'm not sure why mask selection need to be deselected with the Undo button. The right and middle mouse buttons seem like they are enough.

As IA is now, I can [1] run a filter and then [2] make one rectangular selection and then [3] invert the selection and [4] fade the  selection boundaries. I can even Fade All after that, as you suggested. That gives very good results. It would be even better if I could have more than one rectangular selection at once OR if fading would work with mask selections.

Thanks for the help,
Jim

Actually the Fade icon doesn't become inactive until a few paint operations when the undo history is filled with selection change entries...
I have made a small change in the last beta version so that the last image change is kept in the undo history which should always allow Fade after mask selection.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Thank you, Michael. That works perfectly. To fade the eyes, I can paint each eye separately now and then invert the selection and then fade. That does just what I need. Fade selection boundaries fades outside the boundaries, so I need to invert the selection to fade inside the original selection. I can the go back and Fade all, as you suggested, to fade the eyes just a little. This whole approach is so good. The fading has feathered edges to whatever degree I want.

I saw two new fade modes: color and chrominance. I tried to use them with a mask selection, but they froze up the Image Analyzer. I suppose these modes aren't ready yet.

Thanks again,
Jim

I don't understand why when I use a mask selection and choose to Fade the Selection boundaries, everything outside the selection fades 100%. The whole image fades 100%. The opacity slider restores the filter withing the selection. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Why would it revert to the unfiltered version outside the selection?

Jim

The purpose of "Selection boundaries" is that you can apply the last operation to the selection only, and the slider controls how far from the selection it blends. The max value will blend some distance from the selection boundary so if the selection is small you won't even see it-

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Thanks for the explanation, Michael. Now I understand what it's doing. It works perfectly for what I need. All I have to do is Invert the selection and Fade Selection boundaries and then Fade all.

Are Face Selection color and Fade Selection chrominance implemented yet?

Jim

Yes, they are just quite slow

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

12 (edited by jimclatfelter 2012-03-04 18:32:13)

I may be using them wrong, but Fade Selection color and Fade Selection chrominance hang up my computer for many minutes and seem to do nothing. I'm talking 10 minutes or more for a 100x100 selection on a 600x600 image. I can't use the opacity slider at all. It is frozen. And I can't escape the process.

I just tried it again and after about 12 minutes, I could use the opacity slicer, but all it did was show the filtered image  selection below 50 and the original image above 50.

I thought it would Fade either color or luminosity changes in a filtered selection, but I can't see any results.

Jim

The Selection color fade method can be used to apply an effect to areas of specific colors, or to avoid specific colors. If you place the slider in the right side the last effect will be applied to the selected colors only, and if you place the slider to the left the effect will be applied to everything but the selected colors. In the example below I have converted a photo to grayscale, painted a selection over part of the flag and then applied the Fade Selection color to keep colors on the flag.
I recommend keeping the selection small, as the operation otherwise can be very slow.

http://logicnet.dk/Analyzer/help/FadingSelections/FadeSelectionColorExample.jpg

Jim, I just added this explanation to your help page at http://logicnet.dk/Analyzer/help/Fading … ctionColor. With a selection of this size the operation is very fast.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Thanks for the explanation, Michael. I'm glad you added it to the help page.

I can see how this feature will be very useful. I've been experimenting with a photo of a garden of flowers. I applied an Impressionist filter to the image. Then I selected a pink flower and faded the Selection color. The pink flowers stayed crisp and sharp, and the rest were like a painting. Great effect.

Thanks again,
Jim