Topic: is it possible to quit to current directory?

Hello

I have been looking for just such a program for a long time. I use the Command prompt for most of my work and have been forced to the 64bit work. So I am looking for something light weight and nimble.

I would be starting this software form the command window and navigating to different drives and folders. Once I am to the drive/folder I want to get to I want to be able to quit the program and have the command prompt reflect the new drive/directory

If your package can be modified to accomplish that task I would gladly pay for the modification

thank you in advance for all your time

ed neff

Re: is it possible to quit to current directory?

Hi
I will have look at how difficult that would be to implement.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

thank-you and I am serious about this. I have a program I use over 200 times a day (Window-Dos written in the mid 80s) that does not function on 64bit even using the WOW64 command prompt. The author is long since gone as it was released to the public domain in 1999. the screen doesn't need to be "pretty" even text would be okay

I've done a bit of searching and it doesn't really seem to be possible because each process has it's own "current directory", so even if I change the current directory of Commander it won't change the current directory of the command prompt process that started it - see e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1624 … nvironment

Another option is of cause to start a new command prompt from Commander when you are in the folder where you want to be. You can do that by just typing cmd in the bottom command box in Commander.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

thank you for your research. one package i've seen, although i feel the program is way more then I require, edits the Batch file that starts the program and adds a CD to the directory you want to exit to. that requires there to be a standard BAT file name

Interesting idea. I implemented this and it actually works.
You can try get a special version of Commander at http://meesoft.com/Commander/Mirror/CommanderCD.zip
Put Commander in your system path and run the bat file cmdcd then it should work.
Of cause I would appreciate a donation for this work..

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

7 (edited by edaneff 2013-04-19 18:13:53)

wow thanks it I use it I of course will send a donation. I will try it now

excellent thanks

some may want an option to either exit to the directory the cmdcd.bat was started from or to the current directory displayed
perhaps ctrl-f4 and alt-f4

is it possible to start the program full screen or at least at the top of the screen?

lastly is it possible when exiting the program to end up back at the dos prompt. Right now when it exits it is on a window and you need to alt-tab back tot he dos window

PS when you see a donation from TaylorsDreams that's me

belwo is some more afer I played with the program
answers I found
is it possible to start the program full screen or at least at the top of the screen? I see if preferences aren't cleared this works great

is it possible to
1.. perhaps ESC could be used to exit Commander to the prompt that cmdcd started in

2..what exactly does clean registry do and can it be set to be the default ==> it appears it removes all the preferences
    Would it be possible to use an INI/Config file instead of the registry as I will be using this
        over 200 times a day?

3.. just how does add shortcut work?  ==> I tried a few ways with no luck
    I would like to define a short cut to display all of a specific file type (e.g. *.bat; *.CBL; *.;
        etc.) in whatever directory I am in. Perhaps Shift-Fx (where x is a PF key)
    Also if possible I would like to define ALT-x where x is a letter and that would go to the drive
        matching the letter (e.g. alt-f would go to the current directory in the F drive); etc.

4.. is it possible to add ZIP viewing/extraction support?

5.. when exiting the program is it possible to end up back at the DOS prompt. Right now when it exits it is on a window and you need to alt-tab back to the dos window (sometimes pressing enter will bring you there so it appears the dos prompt is active just not being displayed

6.. when a mask is used to display a group of files (e.g. *.bat) and end is pressed it goes to the end of the full directory not the end of the masked files. Is it possible to have the navigation work on the Masked files and not unset the Mask and work on all the files

7.. Is it possible to remove all checks/selections/masks?

thanks
ed

any chnace any on what I mention above is doable?

thanks

p.s. I still have more money in my budget

Sorry, I forgot about your post... 

is it possible to start the program full screen or at least at the top of the screen?

Commander already restores the position and size of the Window from the last run.

Esc is already used to close/cancel the active dialog/file viewer and I would be afraid to accidentally close the program when it is not what the user wants. When you start it, don't you usually know if you want to start it to change directory or not? In that case you can just run commander.exe when you don't want to change dir.

Yes, as you say it just deletes the settings that Commander otherwise stores in registry. Why would you want to do that? It is mostly meant for users running it on a computer that is not their own where they don't want to leave anything behind.

Add shortcut can be used to make shortcuts to external programs or go to a specific folders that you use often. These will be added to the Shortcuts menu. It has nothing to do with keyboard shortcuts.
Can't you just use Order by Type?
Ctrl+D and then the drive letter activates a specific drive.

That is already supported. You should extract the CommanderCD.zip to the folder of the full installation where the unzdll and zipdll files are.

It actually does for me. Are you running the command prompt in full screen? When version of Windows are you using?

Well, anything is possible but I don't think that I would like it...

Use - on the numeric keypad.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

when commandercd is started you do not always know if you want to stay where you started from or where you ended up. It would have been nice to have some way to do either

Order by type displays all the files in the directory sorted by file type
It would have been nice to be able to display only  a certain file type. For Example all BAT files

I am guessing that the unzdll and zipdll files are are in the commander ZIP

this is part of 3 above. If you are displaying all BAT files and you press end it would have been nice if the program went to the end of the current list of files being displayed, in this example the BAT files

I will learn to adapt

thank you
ed

I try to focus on features that could have some general interest, and some of this sounds a bit too specialized...

About the ZIP DLLs, these are included in the normal installer. There is also one for RAR archives.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

hi

i would like to discuss some custom modificatioons but feel strange doing it in this manner

thank you
ed
http://s22.postimg.org/awz64s0q5/photo_1_Copy_12.jpg

Just send me a mail

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

cool I just didn't know if there was a better email address to use as you mention your email address here is spammed a lot

if you have an email address you'd like me to use just email l it it to me at the email I used to donate. I will take a few days to consolidate and arrange what it is I would like.

thank you I enjoy commandercd a lot. I use it many times a day when I am in the 64bit world