Topic: recomended hardware?

Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my PC to have faster processing of my photos.

I wonder which configuration will give best ratio price/performance for IA - many cores vs. many Hz, amd vs intel, nvidia vs ati...

I don't need extreme performance - just good enough to not wait 1 minute on each operation.

BR

Re: recomended hardware?

Good question to our admin.

I would give you the tip, that today you cant compare cpu's anymore by Mhz or Mb of Cache.
Only good camprasion is a benchmark. It is not an absolute value but a very useful starting point.
(usually the value can differ a bit, because speed depends on your Motherboard and Ram Speed, most values are correct)

I like the site of passmark because you can compare really old CPU's and GPU's with the top ones of today.

Theay Serve different Lists so you can search the way which fits your needs best.:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

here you can search by name:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Also interesting the GPU section:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Also your question is many cores vs. many Hz, should be better asked many cores versus high performance per core.

I would prefer less cores but with more power per core. On of the best Dual Core CPUs is the Intel i3-3220.
This CPU has 4239 Passmark points - 2119 per Core.
Nearly the same priceclass you find the AMD Phenom II X6 1045T with 4,921 Passmark points - 820 per core.

So the AMD can ONLY win the CPU Battle IF all cores are used by the Software.
If the Software only uses 1, 2 or 4 Cores as limitation. well then...

So I would prefer less cores but with more power per core , so you are on the safe side.
Look at different cpu's which fit in your budget, and then decide.

greetings

SPAM POSTS DELETED: 116

Hello,

My idea is to know to what is optimized the IA algorithms so i can go that direction, because as you said many cores will be meaningful only if they are utilized all by the program. I also don't know to what extend and which features from the video cards are used - i know that this can give great performance, but it is also very dependent on the program that is using it.

Perhaps i'll be going to construct an intel 775 socket system with nvidia based video card as this seems to give cheaper and most probable performance gain than amd or the newer intels.

BR

Hi

IA currently does not utilize any features of the graphics card so the choice of graphics card is not important.

All of the time consuming algorithms are, however, optimized to take advantage of multiple CPU cores so for many of them it holds that twice as many cores will double the performance. Therefore I would recommend at least 4 and perhaps 8 cores.
I don't really have any experience with the significance of the chip set so I can't give any recommendation there.

For working with big images I will definitely recommend using the 64bit version of Windows and 8GB of RAM, though I guess that all PCs are sold with that today. IA is itself not a 64bit program, but even 32bit software will take advantage of the 64bit Windows because it makes 4GB of memory available to them where the 32bit Windows only leaves 2GB for applications.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Hello Michael,

thank you for lifting the secret how to speed up IA :-)

i must again point out that as many cores doesn't mean for example cpu "A" ist faster than cpu "B".
There are a lot of CPU's from low to mid-low to mid-price up to highend priced.
nearly in every(exept low) segement are 2, 4,6 and 8 core cpus aviable.
So it isnt possible to say a 4 core cpu is always faster than a dualcore.

@rdo if you like to use the 775 sockel,
i will mention that you pass Pentium4 and better go for a Core 2 duo or Pentium (dualcore).
A good one is the Pentium e5700, you find it on ebay for around 22€.

of course it isn't as powerful as a the new AMD and Intels CPU's but it has a good value for money.

If you must decide between 2 or more CPUs we can discuss it here.

Thanks. This is the kind of information that i was needing. Now i can save some money from the video card so i can get a better cpu - Q6600 or something like that.

BR

I watching also at the moment for a cheap 2nd cpu.
So i have done some search already.

Intel Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz        1736 points    12-15€*
Pentium Dual-Core E5700 @ 3.00GHz    1786 points    22-27€    (on my mainboard i got 1968 points....)
Intel Core2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00GHz        1983 points    22-32€*
Pentium Dual-Core E6700 @ 3.20GHz    2059 points    25-31€
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.16GHz        2176 points    30-35€
Intel Core2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz        2280 points    33-38€

*approx ebay price incl. shipping (from & to germany)

greetings

Thanks, the E8.... series looks like a bargain. I'll check them too.

Hello rod,

it is important to read which cpu's are supportet by your Mainboard, otherwise you will buy it and it doesnt work.
In most OEM Mainboards the Manufacture doesnt' tell how far you can update. The only way i have is trial and errorm but this way it is more expensive.

Just a short update about hardware - from the latest version a few of the algorithms can take advantage of DX11 GPUs (using C++ AMP)

Michael Vinther

> software developer <