Topic: recomended hardware?

Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my PC to have faster processing of my photos.

I wonder which configuration will give best ratio price/performance for IA - many cores vs. many Hz, amd vs intel, nvidia vs ati...

I don't need extreme performance - just good enough to not wait 1 minute on each operation.

BR

Re: recomended hardware?

Hello,

My idea is to know to what is optimized the IA algorithms so i can go that direction, because as you said many cores will be meaningful only if they are utilized all by the program. I also don't know to what extend and which features from the video cards are used - i know that this can give great performance, but it is also very dependent on the program that is using it.

Perhaps i'll be going to construct an intel 775 socket system with nvidia based video card as this seems to give cheaper and most probable performance gain than amd or the newer intels.

BR

Hi

IA currently does not utilize any features of the graphics card so the choice of graphics card is not important.

All of the time consuming algorithms are, however, optimized to take advantage of multiple CPU cores so for many of them it holds that twice as many cores will double the performance. Therefore I would recommend at least 4 and perhaps 8 cores.
I don't really have any experience with the significance of the chip set so I can't give any recommendation there.

For working with big images I will definitely recommend using the 64bit version of Windows and 8GB of RAM, though I guess that all PCs are sold with that today. IA is itself not a 64bit program, but even 32bit software will take advantage of the 64bit Windows because it makes 4GB of memory available to them where the 32bit Windows only leaves 2GB for applications.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Thanks. This is the kind of information that i was needing. Now i can save some money from the video card so i can get a better cpu - Q6600 or something like that.

BR

Thanks, the E8.... series looks like a bargain. I'll check them too.

Just a short update about hardware - from the latest version a few of the algorithms can take advantage of DX11 GPUs (using C++ AMP)

Michael Vinther

> software developer <