Topic: Eraser brush tool ?

I wonder if you think an eraser tool would be useful. Since there is always a p1 image under the p2 image, it might not be too difficult to add an eraser brush tool that would reveal the underlying p1 image.

I know that painting with the clone tool from one image to another accomplishes the same task. This might be a more direct way of doing it. Just a suggestion.

Jim

Re: Eraser brush tool ?

Sorry, this isn't a good idea. The erasure would have to be done all in one go. The current method is much better.

An alternative would be to use layers and paint white or black in the mask layer..

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

I haven't used the layers feature much, but I can see how it would be useful for this. I just tried it with two filtered layers and a mask on top. That works great! I will need some practice, but that does make it easy.

Thanks for the suggestion, Michael. That's much better than an eraser tool.

Jim

I'm practicing using ialayers, but there's a lot I still need to learn. Is there a way to close all the layers at once after have saved the image as a jpg file?

No, you can only close all open windows.. Would it be an idea to integrate it with the Flatten command as an option?

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Yes, that sounds like a good idea to have Flatten close all the windows except the ialayers window or the original image window. It can then be saved as an a jpg file or an ialayers file.

I don't know why all those windows need to be open. Other programs only have one window open. They have thumbnails in the layers palette, but those wouldn't be necessary.

Even when a mask layer is active, all the painting is done on the ialayers window. That keeps it simple enough. There is never a real need to see those other windows. The checkboxes let you choose what you want to see.

Do you think it would be possible to have only one layers window on view? I do this by minimizing all but the ialayers window. But I still have to close them individually. If Flatten could close them for me, that would be a good solution.

Maybe Flatten should close all windows except the original. Then the image could be saved in its existing format. If you need to save the file in ialayers format, that could be done before flattening.

I have changed the latest beta so that layer windows are automatically minimized, and flattern can close them if requested.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

It looks good and works well. Thanks for the new feature!

It would be nice if the Removelayer option would close the (now minimized) layer window as well, since it will no longer be needed. It could be by request -- if you think that would be useful. (I don't think I would ever save a layer that I want to remove.)

As it is now, Flatten can close all the layer windows except those that have been removed from the stack. Those are left over and have to be closed one by one.

Good idea, I will do that

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

What do you think of having the ability to add a new layer by Pasting from the clipboard? It could use Ctrl-E to Paste as a new layer. It could work like Ctrl-E already does with non-layered images (to select the whole image and to paste).

It would add a lot to what you could do with layers. I can think of two uses right away.

1. You could add a texture or a grunge or a color layer and set to Overlay mode. (You can already do this in IA without layers, but not with layers.)

2. You could add a pre-made mask layer -- like a vignette or other geometric shape.

This would make the layers consistent with the non-layers uses of IA -- by making Ctrl-E work with layers too.

I think it would be a great feature to have. I hope it's not too complicated to add to the program.

Jim

If I understand you correctly this is already possible via Paste as layer in the Edit menu.
This is actually what I usually use to make layered images.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

That's it, Michael. I was only looking under File / New layered image to make a layered image. Sorry, I knew should have asked if this can be done already. I guess the procedure would be to open a mask or texture file, resize it to the size of the layer, and Paste as layer. Perfect! (Maybe Paste to selection is still a possibility, but this does the same thing.)

Since you already have a Multiply blend mode, I wonder if you would consider adding Overlay. It's not easy to enter by hand. And it's very useful.

if(p1<128, (2*p1*p2/255),255-2*(255-p1)*(255-p2)/255)

I made it work with a texture layer.

Thanks for the help on this!

I suppose I don't really need Paste to selection or Overlay mode. I can use my Blender plugin to open a texture or mask file that is sized automatically to fit the layer (or selection). All I really need is the Paste as layer option, which already exists.

I've added the Overlay layer mode in the latest beta version

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Thanks for adding overlay, Michael, and thanks for the ability to close a layer after using the Remove command too. It makes a clean exit from layers very easy.

Jim