Topic: Is it possible to display selected files in the Commander Window

Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to display a subset of the files in a directory in the Commander window

I understand I can do a DIR command and see the output (ctrl-o) but I want to view a subset directly in the Commander window so I van use all the Commander functions

for example show all files that meet the pattern backup*.rpt, *.txt, etc.

thank you

ed

Re: Is it possible to display selected files in the Commander Window

Sadly it is not possible...
It would be a nice addition...

Spam deleted 2013: 54,  2014: 11,  2015: 3,  2016: 107

Hi

Thanks for your quick response. I was afraid that was the case/

if any of the below makes a difference I am the person you made CommandeerCD for so that ALT-F4 quits to the directory displayed on the current "window"

In addition if the below are not too involved to accomplish would it be possible to:
someway to not use recycle bin if you don't want to or does holding the Shift key accomplish that?
have the current directory of each drive be remembered so when copying from one drive to another all you need to do is type the drive letter and the program copies the data to the current directory on that drive
when sorting if you sort the second time can the sort be reversed. That is initially it sorts ascending but if you were to press the same key combination a second time it would sort descending
allow it to have the option to quit to the current directory that is being displayed (ALT-F4 in the version you created for me) in the active window or have a key (perhaps ESC) return you to where the BAT file was started from
is it possible to make ALT-letter switch to that drive letter and current directory. for example ALT+X would switch to the X drive and its current directory. or perhaps have CTRL-D display the current directory for the various drives not the root as it currently does
if all or some of the above can easily be done I would be happy to contribute whatever you feel is fair

thank you
ed

Shift-F8 or Shift-Delete deletes files without using the recycle bin.

It is an interesting idea to store an active directory for each drive and using that for copying and drive switching. I will think about that.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

hi

thanks for the response. thank you for considering what I mentioned. I am serious when I said I would contribute

ed

How would you define the subset? Would it be one mask or do you need multiple masks at the same time?

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

one mask at a time would be enough unless you feel multiple makes sense from a design standpoint. for example think of the DIR command and that would be all that was needed for me.
dir *.cob
dir as*.asm
dir ???driver.*
etc.

if the command line at the bottom could control what is displayed in the window that would make it for my need

thanks
ed

There is already a feature which is a bit similar - View | Order by | Set name filer (Ctrl+F6). Here you can specify a text string (no wildcards) and all files containing that string will be placed first.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

thank you for your response

I looked at what you mentioned and while I can see its use it is not really what I am looking for. Having the ability to have all files displayed that match a certain "mask" allows you to use all the power of Commander on that subset of files. I use it to mage directories with over a thousand files so the ability to work with a subset of files would be great. Also, as I mentioned earlier,  being able to reverse the sort order would be helpful; as well.

thanks
ed

I have made a new option in the latest beta version, "Only show filter matches", that hides files not matching the specified name filter.
http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/support/view … p?pid=4931

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

Hi

I gave it a try

I think I may not have done something correctly

to do the filter I used CTRL-F6. I attached to screen prints one has the new option off and one has the new option on. The option when it is off seems to not show all the names that match the partial name I input.

thank you
ed
http://s15.postimg.org/44hfj0maf/Commander_only_show_filter_off.jpg

http://s18.postimg.org/76qi0wtpx/Commander_only_show_filter_on.jpg

Hm, it seems that the filer is case sensitive

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

I did a test in de Commander directory, omm matches Commander like files but Com does not match.
Changing the file name into lowercase works.
Perhaps the filter uppercase is changed into lowercase and then it does not match when case sensitive is used?
I have a wildcard matching function which supports * ? and [] set, you can use it if you want, i copied it somewhere from internet and use it myself.

Did type this before Michael but posted it later smile

I have fixed it now so that it is case insensitive.
Actually I already have an algorithm for wildcard matching, but I don't see a big need for it here.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

The filter works for the left panel, the right panel works the old way.

Just some thoughts.
Is it a filter or a order, it depends on the option Show only filter matches.
One fits the View menu, the other the Order menu...

In most cases a simple match would do ( which is faster... ) but most file filters work with wildcards as in Find or compare files.

Since Ed started this topic i hope he puts his thoughts about it smile

16 (edited by edaneff 2015-02-16 21:47:21)

sorry I just saw the replies my email summary didn't show up I will definitely check it out. thank you

I was looking for a filter that displays only the files matching what is input so I can use the power of commandercd on just a select group of files

when it comes to the order I was going to ask if the order could be like a toggle so if you wee to sort on the same attribute a second time the order would be reversed. for example when you sort by size the largest file is on the bottom if you were to sort by size a second time the largest file would be on top

just wondering if there is any chance either of these changes can be added

thanks
ed

hi is there any chance the above might be possible

thank you
ed

It is already possible, unless I misunderstand what you want.
If you enable the option "Only show filter matches" you will only see files where the filter string is present in the name, and clicking on the column headers will reverse the ordering.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <

thank you. is this feature in the current download it has been awhile since I updated my copy?
also does the current download have the change you made a few years back to allow "quitting" to the current directory for me?

one last thing is that the ZIP DLL seems to have difficulty with ZIPS over 2gis in size

ed

I don't remember when this feature was introduced by it has been there for a while, and the Exit and clean registry is still there.

Michael Vinther

> software developer <